Now that the World Cup is over and done with I can concentrate on my real love, the domestic game! In particular, Sheffield United in the newly named nPower Championship.
There's less than 2 weeks to go before The Championship kicks off and The Blades, as Sheffield United are known, start at Cardiff, a day late on August 8th, due to the game being screened live on SKY TV, as I mentioned in my last post.
Before the big kick-off, United have an open day at their Bramall Lane home, which is climaxed with a friendly against Copa Libertadores champions, Estudiantes de la Plata of Argentina, who have ex-Blade Alejandro "Alex" Sabella as their coach, and boast World Cup star Juan Sebastian Veron amongst their number. I hope they don't try too hard, otherwise it could be quite embarrassing!
One interesting fact is that Sabella was United's second choice when attempting to make a signing from Argentina. They had their bid of £180,000 for a little-known teenage midfielder turned down. The name of that midfielder? Diego Armando Maradona, of course! You win some, you lose some!
Keith
No comments:
Post a Comment